Friday, November 12, 2010

Disney Dining: Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Café

Frontierland - Magic Kingdom
Counter Service



Thursday was Veteran’s Day and as a result I got a day off from work. Unfortunately, Peter, my fiancé, did not. But as luck would have it I happened to have an unused free admission voucher to a Disney park of my choice for volunteering earlier in the year. This meant that I could go pester my sweetie while he worked (and he could hook me up with a Fastpass or two!) and enjoy a wonderful day in the park.
I wasn’t too keen on traversing the park solo but the thought of being home alone and board sounded like a waste of a beautiful day. It was a little warm but the park was less busy because it was a) Thursday b) off-season and c) a Christmas Party night (meaning the park closes at 7pm for those with general admission like me). It also occurred to me that I could do a restaurant review too.
I decided early on that I wanted to eat at Pecos Bill in Frontierland. I have eaten their before and was very satisfied with what I ordered. I was also craving taco salad and knew that Pecos Bill’s wouldn’t disappoint. This location also offers special self service lines in which you place your order on computer kiosks. The line is set up for people using the Disney Dining Plan, room credit or a credit card. The computer walks you through your menu options and choices and is very simple to use. I think it makes placing an order fun, and since I am hard of hearing a lot more enjoyable as there are a lot of people making a lot of noise! No saying what?! A dozen times! It was also a very short line (no one was using them!!).

Their menu isn’t big, but that seems to be the case for most Disney dining establishments. If a particular restaurant doesn’t have what you’re looking for the next one might! Peco’s offers up the usual burger and fries but what makes this place better is that they offer a fixin’s bar with sautéed onions and mushrooms, piping hot cheese sauce, salsa, and the usual burger toppers. The smell is divine! They also serve up veggie burgers, chicken wraps, Caesar salads and, my favorite, taco salads.
The taco salad is seasoned beef served in an edible taco shell bowl. Then you mosey on over to the salad bar and top it off any way you like. I went over board and dumped on the cheese sauce, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, and lots of the sautéed onions and mushrooms. The dish also came paired with a packet of sour cream. Be sure to request the sour cream when you receive your order at the counter, its not stocked on the bar! I did have to wait a couple minutes for the bar to be restocked as they were out of salsa. Must have salsa! I ate right around the 3 o’clock parade and it was busy but not as busy as it was back in July when I ate there before.

There is indoor and outdoor seating. I found a little tucked away corner to sit at and still have a view of the parade if it happened by while I was eating. I was a bit disappointed with my salad but I was very hungry. It just didn’t seem as flavorful as when I last had one. A little salt and pepper helped and when I finally got down to the cheese and ‘shrooms…yummy! My fiancé and roommate have had the burgers and chili cheese fries and said that they were good. That seemed to be what was popular as I glanced around the room to see what others had chosen.
So, if you are spending your day at the Magic Kingdom and you’re in the mood for a burger (or a taco salad!) then Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe is the place for you. The Fixings Bar with the added extra of having fresh grilled onions and mushrooms makes this the best burger spot in the Magic Kingdom.

Be warned: even though there is a lot of seating, it can get very crowded here during the busy lunch times. If you eat a little early (11:00 am - 11:30 am) or after 3pm (after the parade has past!) you can beat the crowds and enjoy your dining experience even more.
Here is a link to their menu on AllEars.net (which I recommend to anyone contemplating a trip to Disney!): http://allears.net/menu/men_pec.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment