Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Canful of Salmon (Salmon Croquettes)


Right now my pantry is overrunning with canned salmon.  I think they are mating.  Well, maybe not, but due to a recently discovered food allergy Mr. Penguin's sister gifted us with a sackful.    I was more than happy to take the little fishies.  I love canned salmon!

I love canned  more than I like fresh salmon.  Well, okay, I've never had fresh salmon.  I've had the canned stuff or the stuff in the freezer section of the grocery store.  Given the choice between the two I'll always choose the canned, especially if I'm craving these salmon coquettes.   The freezer stuff taste too fishy to me.  I would like to try fresh one day but until that day...

Mmmmm, salmon croquettes!  I believe my step-mommy taught me how to make these.  I even learned to like peas because of this recipe.  It just taste so darn good with boiled buttered potatoes sprinkled with parsley and sweet peas.  Sometimes she'll make a mustard sauce to go with it that she learned from my Grandma.  The sauce usually goes with her fishball recipe but I don't have either recipe so I can't share them with you.

I can, however, share with you my recipe for salmon croquettes.  Its a little different from my step-mom's because it has no fresh onion in it.  If I add the onion my croquettes kinda burn and my Mr. Penguin kinds goes "eww!"  I swear you'd think he was two years old sometimes.

Little cans of deliciousness!
For this recipe your gonna need an egg, Nature's seasoning, worchestershire sauce, a sleeve of crushed Ritz crackers (or some other butter cracker) and of course, a can of salmon (or about 15 oz) and some veggie oil to fry the little suckers in.


Mix it all together....

I love using a cookie scoop to measure out.
Portion it out into even patties...


Make sure the oil is nice and hot....


Flip 'em over when nice and browned...


and Viola!  Yummy Salmon coquettes!

*drool*


Salmon Croquettes

Ingredients: 
1 sleeve Ritz or other type of buttery crackers, crushed finely
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 TSP Morton's Nature's Seasoning (a blend of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and other good flavors, really good stuff). 
1 (14.75 oz) can Salmon, drained of liquid
vegetable oil for frying

Directions:  

1.  Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
2.  Portion out salmon mixture into patties with about 2 TBS mixture in each.
3.  Heat about a 1/2 cup of vegetable oil till hot in large frying pan over medium heat.
4.  Carefully place patties into hot oil.
5.  Cook until patties are golden brown on underside.  Flip and continue to cook other side till golden.
6.  Remove to paper towel lined dish to drain off excess oil. 
7. Patties can be kept in warm oven until ready to serve.






No comments:

Post a Comment