Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Where Granola Bars Become Cereal


I keep seeing a recipe for homemade chocolate chip granola bars, most recently on Brown Eyed Baker.  My husband loves chewy granola bars.  I like them too but prefer the crunchy ones (or I would if they didn't shed crumbs all over the place).  The recipe looks deceptively simple.  Yes, that's right.  Deceptively simple.

I'm not really sure where I went wrong.  I took step-by step pictures so maybe someone out there can help me figure it out?  Okay, just kidding I don't need help figuring out what happened.  After reading the comments of other brave should who tried out this recipe I have learned I am not the only one to have a difficult time with it.  Maybe it was too much butter, maybe I didn't cook the syrup long enough or maybe I didn't pack down the cereal mixture hard enough.  Maybe a combo of all three?  Anyway, I do plan on making them again.  Learn from my fail:


When life gives you crumbles, pour them in a bowl, grab a spoon and enjoy your yummy new cereal.


To make your granola cereal your going to need some crisped rice cereal, quick-cooking oats, honey, brown sugar, vanilla extract, butter and chocolate chips.


In a large bowl combine oats and rice cereal.


In small sauce pan melt butter, sugar and honey over med-high heat.  Cook until it gets bubbly and then let cook for a couple more minutes.  Add vanilla extract.



Pour sugar syrup over cereal.  Mix well.




Pour cereal mixture into greased pan.  I used half of a 12x8 pan because for some reason I was too lazy to dig out a smaller pan.  Don't be like me.  Dig out the correct size pan.  You might achieve bars instead of cereal.  Unless cereal is your goal.


Sprinkle on some chocolate chips and press them in.  I covered my hand with a bit of plastic wrap and pressed them in that way so I wouldn't have to lick the chocolate of my hand.


Let set up for about 2 hours or stick in the fridge for a little bit.  Cut into bars.


Watch bars crumble before your eyes.


The, Grab a bowl, The Milk and spoon.


Consume.


Please note:  I can't take credit for eating them like cereal.  My roommate went to eat one and it crumbled in his hand.  He just nonchalantly grabbed a bowl and poured in some milk.  I was devastated.  Then he went, Yum!  Redeemed.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Bars
by: Lauren's Latest (adapted from Rachel Ray)

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup crisped rice cereal
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips

In large bowl combine oats and rice cereal.  In small saucepan over med-high heat cook butter, honey and brown sugar until it comes to a bubble.  Cook 2 additional minutes.  Remove from heat.  Add vanilla extract.  Pour syrup mixture over cereal and stir till well combined.   Press cereal mixture into greased pan with sides.  Make sure it is well packed.  Sprinkle chocolate chips on top and press in gently.  Let mixture set up for two hours.  If still not firm place in fridge for 20 minutes.  Cut into bar shapes.  Wrap each bar in plastic wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment