Friday, August 10, 2012

Healthified KFC Coleslaw

Coleslaw (25)

Sorry I haven't posted like I usually do during the week. I have been on a clean all the things spree and busy with work related projects. While cleaning I was reminded that I haven't posted this recipe yet. Actually, it was throwing away the stinky leftovers that reminded me. I was so sad to see that this yummy coleslaw had gotten buried in the fridge and ignored. It would shave been perfect in my lunches all week. Bummer.


I really really hated coleslaw as a child and teen. I always got double mashed potatoes when my family had KFC for dinner. I definitely didn't touch the stuff when I worked at KFC. It was one of my least favorite tasks working there: coleslaw duty. All the ingredients were so cold your hand would be burning before you had finished mixing it. It was impossible to mix with anything but your hand. The gloves we had to use were hilarious and went up to your armpit.

Making their coleslaw was pretty simple. Get the ingredients out of the walk-in, open the bags into a huge container. Mix. I have no clue what was in the sauce. It is very much a proprietary secret which is why I had to turn to Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Recipes for an idea of what to start with before making my modifications.

Coleslaw (23)

I subbed greek yogurt for the buttermilk and used light mayo instead of the full fat stuff and sugar substitute. I was also appalled that he used diced onion. Ick! I'm for certain sure that KFC does not use diced onion in their coleslaw. Onion powder seemed more likely so that's what I used. I also simplified the recipe by using a bag of already prepped coleslaw veggie mix.

Coleslaw (24)

I mixed everything up in a bowl minus the milk. After getting the sauce really well combine add it to the bagged coleslaw veggies in a big bowl. After mixing it up I added just enough milk to thin it out. I then placed in the fridge for consumption the next day. This stuff is really better if you let it marinate in the sauce which is what anybody who makes coleslaw will tell you. It gets juicier and the flavors develop.

Coleslaw (19)

This coleslaw is best paired with some BBQ. My husband like to put it on top of his pulled pork sandwich and recently discovered the joys of coleslaw on top of a chili dog. This slaw really does taste similar to the KFC stuff. Not exactly though because I think think it tastes better;)

Healthier KFC Coleslaw 
adapted from Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilber

1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup Splenda
1/4 cup greek yogurt
2 1/2 TBS lemon juice
1 1/2 TBS white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
3 TBS Milk (what ever you have on hand, I usually have 1% but used 2% this time)
1 small (16oz) bag coleslaw veggie mix

1. Combine first 8 ingredients in small bowl.  Mix sauce well with whisk.

2. Empty bagged cabbage mix into large bowl and then pour sauce over it and mix well.

3. Refrigerate overnight before serving (although I suppose a couple hours is acceptable in a pinch).

Stats:  Servings Per Recipe: 12 /Amount Per Serving: Calories: 67.3, Total Fat: 2.7 g, Cholesterol: 3.6 mg, Sodium: 174.8 mg, Total Carbs: 8.8 g, Dietary Fiber: 1.1 g, Protein: 1.3 g (Stats provided by Sparkpeople Recipe Calculator)

No comments:

Post a Comment