Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Molasses Crinkles {12 Days of Christmas Treats}

Christmas Treats Title

I really hate the smell of molasses.  It's just gross.  But it taste so wonderful in these cookies and in gingerbread.  Peter's Mom makes these for Christmas every year and they are very addictive.

Molasses Crinkles

So here are some more of my Christmas memories.  I'm sure your soooo excited!  It's a little like looking at someone's vacation slideshow I suppose.  I think it's important to remember and write down any memory.  I love to scrapbook and look genealogy.  Our family has so many stories, some funny, some not, but I'd be sad if they all disappeared.

family photos 008

This is the Christmas after the very spectacular Christmas from last blog post.  You know, the one with the play kitchen?  It may have snowed too.  Which is weird because we lived in New Mexico and it's desert like but we lived below some mountains so I suppose that helped drop some really wet snow.  Just enough to make a snowman that Dad covered in food coloring to make a punk snowman.

family photos 007

Speaking of punks...I think a was a little one because I cried and complained about not getting as much as the last year.  What a spoiled brat!

family photos 002

One Christmas was spent living with my Grandma and Grandpa in Texas.  It snowed quite a bit too!  We also got to be in the Christmas program at church and I got to wear a very beautiful and poofy red polk a dot dress.  I loved that dress!  I remember we sang Joy to the World at the top of our lungs.

family photos 009

This is the last photo of child hood Christmases that I own.  I don't recall this Christmas at all.  I believe this was taken at my Grandma and Grandpa's in Illinois. I think we have a few from when I was older, like middle school aged, but it just seems like we always forgot to take pictures.  Some Christmases made it on video when my parents got a camcorder.  I much prefer photos!  All of that video is on VHS.  I don't even own a VHS player anymore.  Wonder who'll get the privilege of transferring that over?

Okay.  That's it.  I promise not to share anymore family photos...for now.  *evil laughter*

Let's make some cookies instead!

Molasses Crinkles

This dough does require some chill time  It's ready to use after hanging out in the fridge for about an hour.  The colder dough makes it easier to scoop out perfect portions and to roll in sugar.

Molasses Crinkles

These cookies get their crinkly appearance after rolling them in some sugar and baking them up.  Don't bake them for too long unless you want gingersnaps instead!

Molasses Crinkles

Under baked is your goal.  They'll finish baking on the baking sheet.

Molasses Crinkles

These taste so good dipped in some cold milk.  They're a very sturdy cookie too so if your wanting to ship these out to friends and family.

Molasses Crinkles
from recipe given to me by Peter's Mom

3/4 cup butter flavored Crisco
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 large egg
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
sugar for rolling cookie dough in

Cream together the shortening, sugar and molasses.  Add egg.  Stir in remaining ingredients except the sugar for rolling dough in.  Chill dough for one hour in the refridgerator.

Pre heat oven to 375F.  Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper.  Scoop dough out by tablespoon-full and roll into  round ball.  Dip dough ball into sugar to coat.  Place dough onto baking sheets 3 inches apart.  Bake 10-12 minutes till set but not hard.

Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment