Thursday, May 3, 2012

General Tso's Chicken or Why I Hate Cornstarch


I have avoided making my own Chinese takeout style food for many reasons: too much prep, steps and frying. But mostly the frying part. Than, I saw this recipe on the Brown Eyed Baker.  My mouth began salivating just looking at the pictures.  So I decided to get over my aversion to frying and make it.  Yeah, I was right.  A lot of work but it made a lot of food and it was delicious.  I'll try to kick up the spice next time I make it.  On a spiciness scale from one to ten I give it a 1.  I have a feeling that my red pepper is old so my fault.  I'll buy some dried red chilies from the Asian market before making it again.  I may regret that decision!  Spicy doesn't agree with me.  But it burns so good!



Like I said this recipe has a lot of steps.  Cutting up the chicken, making the sauce/marinade and breading the chicken.  Once you get things figured out prep goes fast.  I had to fry in batches, but, again, once I got into the rhythm of things it got easier.  Don't make this if you are starving though.  This is no means a quick meal!



The worst part of this whole cooking experience though was the breading.  It has cornstarch in it.  Cornstarch feels like fingernails on a chalkboard.  I really almost couldn't get through the breading part because my teeth were on edge.  It's a lot of cornstarch!  Maybe wearing gloves will alleviate that side effect?  Tongs?  Make my husband do that part?


I didn't change a thing about this recipe (this time) so head over to Brown Eyed Baker for the recipe!  making this has really given me the courage to try out some more Chinese take-out dishes.  Sweet and Sour chicken is sounding good.

No comments:

Post a Comment