Wednesday, April 27, 2011

DBC April 2011: Maple Mousse and Edible Containers


The April 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Evelyne of the blog Cheap Ethnic Eatz. Evelyne chose to challenge everyone to make a maple mousse in an edible container. Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 27th to May 27th at http://thedaringkitchen.com!

 I'm not very creative this month. Just a pumpkin cookie cup using an inverted muffin pan for my mousse bowl.


The maple mousse was icky...too sweet! I should have known better, lol! I can barely stand the stuff on my pancakes. Thought maybe the 'real' stuff would be different. Same taste just thinner. I think maple syrup is too sticky tasting and the flavor lingers forever.  Also, god forbid I drop the tiniest bit on me anywhere.  I can smell it all day and feel sticky, lol!

I used a cinnamon flavored maple syrup to try and be unique but you couldn't taste a drop of cinnamon in the finished mousse. The cookie was a little bland.  If I ever make them again I'll add more pumpkin pie spice.  The blandness did help balance the sweetness of the mousse which at least made the dish slightly more palatable.


The meringues I made on the other hand were delicious! I have never just had meringue just baked by itself like that and not accompanied by a pie filling underneath it.  I dislike meringue pies but loved these 'cookies'.

With the leftover dough from the cookie cups I made cute little cutout of leaves using a mini cookie cutter. Little oak and maple leaves so cute!

Final verdict:  No one could eat this dessert.  I think we all took one bite and went into a sugar coma!  Which is sad because it was very pretty and fun to make.  I think I'd like to use the edible container concept and use different flavors i.e. chocolate next time.

If your feeling Daring, here is the recipe:  Maple Mousse in an Edible Container

No comments:

Post a Comment