Wednesday, July 6, 2011

So Sad Salmon Salad


Why is this pasta salad so sad?  One, because sadly my camera and lighting suck lemons and two, because it was made for a coworker/friend's going away potluck lunch.  That's why it's crying.  Can't you see the tears?  Actually, this dish shouldn't cry.  This salad is so easy to make and so delicious.  Well delicious if you like salmon and your not allergic.  So, please, continue forth if that does not apply or if you, like me, enjoy to torture yourself by oogling foods your not allowed/shouldn't eat!

The first thing to not forget when making this recipe: don't buy the wrong flippin' type of canned salmon.  See that can of salmon in my picture below?  Well, ignore it.  It's the wrong stuff.  Don't get me wrong, it's totally usable but I'm just trying to save yourself a gross-out and an extra step.  Don't say I didn't warn you!


You gonna need some orzo pasta (or any other small shapey pasta, bowties are nommy too!), frozen peas and two cans of BONELESS, SKINLESS Wild Alaskan Salmon.  The all-caps is there for a reason.  Heed it!


For the dressing just some mayo, about a 1/2 a cup (your favorite brand but NOT Miracle Whip!) and some salt and pepper to taste.


If you did not heed my warning and opened up that huge can of salmon you were probably unpleasantly surprised by bones and skin.  I expected this as I make salmon croquettes with this stuff.  What I didn't expect is how hard it would be to pick all the bones out (or crunch up finely, which they will) and get all the nasty skin.  Not the highlight of my evening but as it was late and I hate wally World with a passion I was stuck using what I had.  I planned poorly, thought I had two cans of the right stuff.  Stupid pantry trolls!


Optional:  While the orzo is boiling away as per package instructions (did you remember to salt the water?) Pour out a heap of peas, about 1-1/2 cups, into sieve.  I dunk these into the boiling water for a couple secs to unfreeze them.  This is only necessary if you want to eat pasta salad immediately.  I wanted a little for dinner so I thawed 'em.  They would thaw out overnight in the fridge and honestly the salad taste best the next day.


After draining the pasta, add to salmon and combine with mayo, peas, salt and pepper.  Refrigerate overnight and enjoy the next day.  I especially enjoyed getting to use my awesome bowl.  It has freezer pack that stores in the bottom to keep the salad , or whatever, cold.  It also has a lid with detachable serving spoon and spork. 


Salmon Pasta Salad
as seen on TastyKitchen.com

Ingredients:

5 ounces Dry Orzo Pasta
1-½ cup Frozen Peas
2 cans (6 Oz. Size) Wild Alaskan Salmon
½ cups Mayonnaise
Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Prepare and cook orzo pasta as directed on package or until desired tenderness. Drain and set aside to cool.

2.Prepare peas by steaming slightly, if you don't want to wait to eat salad, otherwise leave be and they will defrost overnight in salad.  Don't over cook!  They're best slightly crunchy.

3. Drain and shred the canned salmon; mix with peas, orzo, mayo, black pepper, and salt to taste.

Serve room temperature or chill; makes 6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment