Thursday, August 30, 2012

Chocolate Steel Cut Oatmeal

Chocolate Oatmeal (9)

I love chocolate. I don't really understand people who don't. Than again I hate coffee and coffee flavored things. I imagine those who love coffee don't understand me. Coffee just tastes so bitter to me that I don't see the point. No amount of sugar and/or cream can mask that flavor.

Chocolate I understand and love. Well, sort of. I remember sneaking into my Mom's baking cabinet and snitching a piece of her Baker's Chocolate. I unwrapped that yummy smelling morsel and took a huge bite out of it. Boy did I regret doing that! It was so bitter it made my eyes water and I couldn't spit it out fast enough. I learned my lesson that's for sure!

Chocolate for breakfast just sounds so indulgent. My Dad would make us chocolate Cream of Wheat for breakfast on the weekends to eat while watching Ren & Stimpy as a family. He would just make plain Cream of Wheat and add in Nestle Quick chocolate milk powder and god only knows how much sugar. I still love to add chocolate to my cream of wheat and occasionally I can find the stuff with the chocolate already in it. I omit all that sugar and use a packet of Splenda now.


Chocolate Oatmeal (8)

Cream of Wheat isn't very filling to me though. I recently acquired a love for steel cut oats and discovered that they are very filling! Chocolate oatmeal just doesn't sound good to me for some reason. I'm glad that I decided to try it oat anyways. So good!

There are a lot of recipes out there but the one I found from iheartwellness looked simple. Unfortunately, I didn't have any berries or rice milk. No worries! I just used what I had and it came out wonderfully. I do like my oatmeal a little sweeter so I added an extra packet of Splenda. I'm pretty sure if I had some berries I wouldn't have needed it.

Chocolate Oatmeal (5)


Chocolate Steel Cut Oatmeal
adapted from iheartwellness.com

1/2 cup Steel-Cut Oats
1 1/2 Cup Water
1 heaping TBSP Cocoa Powder
2 pkts Splenda (or other low calorie sweetener)
1/3 Cup Milk
a dollop of lite Cool-Whip for garnish (optional)

Bring water and oats to a boil.  Cook oats, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.  Add cocoa, milk and sweetener.  Stir well.  Serve with dollop of whipped cream.  Makes 2 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment