Tuesday, July 24, 2012

(I Hate) Eggplant Croquettes

Eggplant Croquettes (42)

I don't know about you but I'm tired of all the sweet stuff I've been posting lately. It's hard work trying to be creative!

I went to the produce market last weekend and fell in love with a beautiful stranger eggplant. It was unlike any eggplant I'd ever seen! It was a variegated purple. Light purple at that. I'm used to seeing the really dark purple, almost black eggplants at my grocery store.

The funny thing about me and eggplant is that I don't like eggplant. I love the idea of eating eggplant. It makes me feel weirdly sophisticated to say to someone, "I ate eggplant for dinner". Actually, I just forget that I don't like eggplant. I'm not sure why I keep forgetting that I don't like eggplant. My husband remembers that I don't like them every time I bring one home.

He'll be like, "Hon, you know you don't like eggplant, right? Remember?"

And I'll be like, "Really? I do not recall any such conversation!"

I just figure I have yet to prepare eggplant in a pleasing way. So here is an eggplant recipe. Maybe you'll like it?


Eggplant Croquettes (44)

Take your very pretty eggplant (doesn't have to be as cute as mine, it can be one of those unfashionable purple-black ones) and cut her right in half longwise. But it on a roasting pan and coat with some olive oil and salt. Roast until the skin gets all lose and the eggplant is easily pierced by a fork.

Eggplant Croquettes (45)

Combine all your dry ingredients, the herbs and aromatics, and egg with the smooshy cooked eggplant. Mix it mixey mixertons.

Eggplant Croquettes (45)

You want the mixture to just hold together but not too wet. If it's too wet and doesn't hold together add some more bread crumbs. Every eggplant is different and I used a smallish eggplant.

Eggplant Croquettes (26)

Form into patties. I was able to create 6 from my mix. Heat some veggie oil in a skillet and fry on each side until golden brown.

Eggplant Croquettes (46)

I ate my croquettes sandwich style with some lettuce and mayo. It was pretty tasty but then I remembered all the squishy seeds. *shiver*

Hope you enjoy your eggplant more than I did.

Eggplant Croquettes
adapted from a recipe submitted by Kelli Charnes on allrecipes.com

1 medium eggplants, halved lengthwise
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup vegetable oil for frying
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Place eggplant halves on roasting pan.  Coat eggplant with some olice oil and sprinkle with some salt.  Roast eggplant in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  After eggplant has cooled enough to handle without burning yourself, peel off skin and discard.  In medium mixing bowl mash up eggplant.
Combine cheese, bread crumbs, eggs, parsley, onion, garlic and salt with the mashed eggplant. Mix well.

Shape eggplant mixture into patties.Heat vegetable oil in  skillet over medium heat.  Fry croquettes until  golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.  Remove to paper towel lined platter to drain off excess oil. 

Makes 6 croquettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment