Sunday, March 13, 2011

But Do You Know the ENGLISH Muffin Man?


I love English Muffins, what I don't love is the price of English muffins.  Six muffins typically cost more than a whole loaf of sandwich bread.  After taking the time to make some muffins myself I can see why they can be pricey.  Don't get me wrong I love these muffins and will make them again!  They are so delicious and fluffy and yummy.  Its just a lot of work.  Actually its a lot of waiting.  I'm not patient.

I really recommend making your own at least just once. I'll be making these again but next time I'll make a double batch and freeze them.  These muffins won't keep as long as the muffins you buy at the store because they don't have all those preservatives.  Not a bad thing at all.

The best recipe I found on the web was the one on Budget Bytes.  Their are a ton of awesome recipes with step by step instruction with pictures on how to make these muffins and many other budget friendly recipes.  I've made her naan, dal nirvana, and these muffins.

As you can see below, my muffins didn't quite get as high as hers.  Not sure why.  I did all three rises.  Bread scan be so fickle.  Maybe it was the weather or maybe it was the yeast or maybe I'm just too damn impatient.  Did I mention THREE rises.  Don't skip that step.



English Muffins as seen on Budget Bytes

Ingredients:

1 cup milk
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45
degrees C)
1/4 cup melted shortening
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt

Directions (this is the condensed version, go to Budget Bytes for the complete step-by-step):
 

1. Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

2. In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise.

3. Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or empty tuna can. Sprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust tops of muffins with cornmeal also. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.

4. Heat greased griddle. Cook muffins on griddle about 10 minutes on each side on medium heat. Keep baked muffins in a warm oven until all have been cooked. Allow to cool and place in plastic bags for storage. To use, split and toast. Great with orange butter, or cream cheese and jam.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment