Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cutie Cupcakes


Every year I make the same old boring New Year resolution: get healthy and lose weight. Some years are more successful than others. 2007-2008 were good years and I actually lost some of the weight I gained while in college. I felt a lot better and gained some self-confidence. I have since regained that weight and than some and lost that self-confidence.

I’m getting married September 24th of this year and I don’t quite fit into my dress. I’m sure if I squeezed myself into some uncomfortable shape wear I could but then I wouldn’t have the motivation to lose the weight. I don’t have to lose much, maybe ten pounds if that. I’d like to lose more and feel like I did prior to the weight gain. That’s why I joined the gym. I try to go every weekday for an hour. However, I like to cook and eat what I cook.

I’ve been trying out some healthier recipes. Keeping track of what I eat has made me realize that I’m a sweets fanatic and I love bread. *can’t live without bread* Mr. Penguin and I eat quite a bit of fast-food too. It’s convenient. Actually it’s weird. Why do we eat out? I LOVE to cook! Wtf? Anyways…


I found some Clementine oranges (Cuties) on sale the other day. They are always delicious and sweet and easy to peel. Way healthier than a candy bar! I also happened to have a box of angel food cake. I wouldn’t recommend eating angel food cake everyday but it’s certainly healthier than, say, a german chocolate cake. And to make it easier to control portion size I baked the cake in cupcake liners. These cupcakes are so delicious! They’re light and fluffy and not overwhelmingly sweet but still satisfied my sweet tooth.



Cutie Cupcakes

1 box angel food cake mix
½ pkg cream cheese, softened
½ cup powdered sugar
1 TBS fresh clemintine or orange juice
½ tsp finely grated clemintine zest

1. Prepare cake batter as directed on box. In muffin pan lined with cupcake liners, pour batter into liners 2/3rd full. Bake in 350 degree oven 25-30 minutes or until cupcakes are golden brown.

2. In medium mixing bowl combine softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, juice and zest. Mix with hand mixer on medium speed until combined.

3. Ice cooled cupcakes using a piping bag if you want to get fancy like I did or just get a butter knife and spread on cupcake. Gorgeously delicious either way!

No comments:

Post a Comment