Thursday, March 22, 2012

Das V-8 Stew (a post written by my Husband)


I'm feeling severely lazy tonight so my husband helped me out by writing the following.  I think he did a great job.  All pictures and pictured food are me, all opinions his=)  -H


"V-8 Stew"
a guest post by Mr. Penguin
aka The Husband


My wife, in case you readers don't know this already, is a wonderful cook.  She's brought dozens of her own recipes into out marriage, as well as taking on many of my family's classic dishes.  This one, however, is one of hers; V-8 Stew.  It's so-called, appropriately enough, because the key ingredient is V-8 vegetable juice.

Like so many wonderful things in life, this stew is deceptively simple, yet delicious well beyond the sum of its parts.   A bit of beef, some carrots and potatoes, and a bottle of V-8 or similar vegetable juice come together to create the most epic vegetable beef stew that you can possibly imagine.

Here's the breakdown:


1) Chop carrots, potatoes, garlic, and onion.


2) Take a ziploc bag and put in salt, pepper, and flour.

Shake it like a Polaroid picture-H
 3) Add the meat and shake vigorously to coat.

We're not cooking till done here folks-H

4) Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet and fry the meat in batches (do NOT overcrowd the pan.  Just don't.  Seriously.)  This may take two or three batches.  Cook until GBAD (Golden Brown and Delicious)


5) Add onion and garlic and saute.


6) Take all the ingredients (potatoes, carrots, meaty goodness, onion, and garlic) and put them into your slow cooker.


7) Add the V-8 juice and about 2 cups of water.


8) Finally, set your slow cooker on High, sit back, and wait about four hours (or, if you have a long day ahead of you, put it on Low for seven hours).  When the meat is tender and the veggies are cooked through, pour into bowls, tear off a hunk of your favorite bread (Sourdough and French baguettes are good choices here) and dig in!

Now, I admit I've never been a big fan of beef stew in the past.  In fact, other than various stew-in-a-can on our family camping trips, I very seldom had it at all.  It just wasn't one of the things in my mom's kitchen repertoire.  But the first time my wife made this stew… I was an instant convert.  It's rich, flavorful and delicious, and just… just…

Excuse me.  I think I hear the Crock-Pot calling me…

V-8 Vegetable Beef Stew 
from the Hutchinson Family Recipe Archives 


1 pound cubed beef
2 1/4 cups chopped potatoes
1 cup chopped carrots
1 1/2 cups chopped celery (optional, I never use it, ick!)
1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 large can of V8 juice (actually any tomato based veggie juice works)
2 teaspoons beef bouillon
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
salt & pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Season the beef with the salt and pepper. Place flour in a covered bowl or a large ziplock plastic bag. Shake off excess flour. Repeat until all the meat is coated.

In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the meat in batches and brown the meat on all sides. Don't over crowd the pan! Remove each batch with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on some paper towels. Repeat until all the meat is browned.

After cooking all the meat, add onions and garlic to remaining oil in pan. Saute until soft.

Transfer meat and onions to crockpot. Add Veggies. Pour in V-8 juice and water. Add beef bullion.

Set crockpot to high and let cook for 4 hours or set on low for a cook time of about 7. Cook until meat is tender and veggies are cooked through.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why we (good cooks) are even questioned, really? I love beef stew of any...of most kinds and I am sorry but not canned EVER! Lookin yummy though Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canned soups in general are gross especially Beef Stew which usually has the consistency of dog food!

      Delete