Thursday, January 10, 2013

Porkchops & Resolutions

Porkchops (2)

I can't believe that 2012 has come and gone!  I feel like I just got used to writing out the date and now I have to remember that it's 2013.  I've already had to redo so many documents this year because I just can't believe that it's 2013 already and my hand and brain refuse to cooperate to write the correct year.

This year I've committed to actually writing my 2013 goals down.  In the past I've mentally kept a list but by month 2 I've usually forgotten what I want to achieve!  I'm not sure why I have never written them down in the past.  Maybe because if it isn't on paper (or blog) I feel that I don't have to hold myself accountable?  Probably!  So this year...

1.  I will work out for at least 30 minutes 6 days a week.  I bought a gym membership 2 years ago for a reason.  Use it! {Last week I made it to the gym 6xs, taking Sunday off, hope  I can keep this streak up!}

2. Get organized!  I used to be very Twilight Sparkle and keep very organized and together.  I loved to make lists and everything had it's place.  Now that I am taking anti anxiety meds I just don't keep up with my organization habits anymore.  Not a "side affect" I like.  I live in a little apartment and things get messy quickly if not put up right away!

3.  Curb the retail therapy habit.  I love to shop.  For anything.  I will happily shop for cleaning supplies!  It makes me happy for some weird reason.  What doesn't make me happy...my dwindling bank account.  I have plenty of hobbies that do not require spending money and buying things only makes me happy for a brief period of time.  

4.  Speaking of hobbies...get these projects done:  the wedding card scrapbook, chapstick holder sewing project, the pajama pant sewing project, the tissue holder sewing project, and the barely started painting.  I'm the Queen of Unfinished Projects!

5.  Stop eating when I'm not hungry.  Go get a drink of water, go play some Nintendo, read a book, go for a walk, finish one of the projects listed above.  Do anything!  Just put down the loaf of bread, bag of chips {insert carb of choice} and walk away.  Alos, your not a dog.  Don't reward yourself like one!

6.  Kiss the hubby more often.  (Hey I had to have at least one easily achievable goal!)

7.  Journal more often.  I love keeping a journal/diary but haven't written in mine for the past year.  It really helps me get to sleep faster and allows me to reflect on my day.  It's also handy for remembering dates of when jobs begin/end or other important life events=)

8.  Network more.  I read a lot of blogs but I don't comment often or engage in conversation.  There are so many wonderful bloggers out there and it isn't hard to leave a comment telling them so.  

9.  Learn how to take better food photography.  I think it's getting better but still needs work.  I'll have to see if I can find some library books on the subject.

10.  Learn to love myself and accept compliments with grace.  I really can't even look at my reflection in the mirror sometimes despite my husband saying I'm gorgeous.  In other words, who cares what other people think.  Do what makes you happy!

Phew!  Glad that's done!  I'm really motivated to keep these promises to myself.  

Porkchops (4)

With that in mind I wanted to share my favorite recipe for pork chops from Cooking Light. It is a lighter version of the traditional fried and breaded pork chop with country gravy.  

These pork chops are pan fried sans the carb-a-licious breading and the gravy is made with 1% milk and in the past I have substituted skim if I have it on hand.  The gravy isn't as thick and rich when using skim milk but my waist line thanks me!  

There isn't much seasoning to this dish so I usually like to throw in a little sage and use seasoning salt in lieu of the poultry seasoning.  I think the sage smells so wonderful as it is cooking and just tastes wonderful.

I always serve my chops with rice and plenty of healthy veggies.  Mashed potatoes would be yummy too!

Porkchops (3)

Pork Chops with Country Gravy
slightly adapted from Cooking Light

3/4 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt, divided
4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops (about 1 inch thick)
1 teaspoon butter
1 1/3 cups 1% low-fat milk 
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon sage
1/4 teaspoon black pepper 

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt evenly over both sides of pork. Add 1 teaspoon butter to pan, stirring until butter is melted. Add the pork to pan, and cook pork for 3 minutes on each side. Remove pork from pan, and keep warm.

Combine low-fat milk and flour, stirring with a whisk. Add the milk mixture to pan, stirring with a whisk. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, sage, and black pepper. Return pork to pan. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer for 7 minutes or until gravy is thick and pork is done.

5 comments:

  1. Looks delish! Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Linky Party Etiquette post. I am now following you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great resolutions! I need to purge myself of retail therapy also. I just LOVE buying stuff!! It is like an addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then maybe I could afford Disney more... ;)

    ReplyDelete