Tuesday, June 26, 2012

In Which I review the Cookbook Hungry Girl: 300 Under 300 {BLT Pizza}


When I decided to get serious about dieting I decided to start simple.  I've been signed up to receive Hungry Girl emails for some time now. I can't remember how I found out about Lisa and her website but I know I have been signed up since I worked my data entry job at the Dome which is forever ago!  Lisa now has an awesome show that comes on the Food Network and the Cooking Channel.  Unfortunately I lack cable so I can't watch the shows.When I was still going to the gym I would occasionally catch an episode or two.  She's a fun girl and her recipes are really non-recipes.  Very simple and, of course, low in all the bad stuff.


I randomly picked up Lisa Lillien's 300 Under 300 at my local Target.  It wasn't cheap but what cookbook is?  As soon as I got home I got out my lil sticky bookmark thingies and soon found myself with a ton of new, healthy, recipes to try.  The only section of this book sticky note free is the section full of recipes involving hotdogs.  Not a big fan of hotdogs unless they are slightly charred from the grill and in a bun.

The recipe that stuck out for me the most was her BLT Pizza.  I love bacon!  I love Pizza!  And I love BLTs!  Also, this recipe was sure to be a hit with my husband who is also a fan of all of the above.  The only downer with this recipe is that to stay under 300 calories your only allowed 1/6th of the pizza.  Bummer.

I really do love Hungry Girl and her cookbooks and plan on trying more of her recipes in the future.  If your watching your figure this may a good choice for you too.  Her recipes are really easy to follow and so far yummy!

  
I did modify Lisa's recipe a little bit.  I don't like using Pillsbury pizza crust unless I'm making my breakfast pizza.  Making homemade dough is very simple and the best part?  Making huge batch and freezing the dough lumps for later.  I use this recipe from Budget Bytes.


You'll need a 1/2 tsp of Ranch dressing mix (I subbed the Buttermilk kind because that's all I had), 1/3 cup of light mayo, 6 slices center cut or turkey (yuck!) bacon, a tomato and some lettuce.  You will also need to pre-bake your pizza crust.


Chop up all the veggies and the bacon into small bite size pieces and mix the dressing mix into the mayo.


Spread mayo mixture on cooked pizza crust and top with chopped veggies and the bacon.  Tip:  pre-cut the pizza crust into 6 slices BEFORE adding any ingredients to it. This makes for less mess serving later.


This pizza really is yummy and really simple to make.  My husband ate this baby up!  He had bacon all over his face.  He's so cute.

Now go check out Lisa's website and recipes!

P.S.  I didn't get paid or compensated for this post and all opinions are my own...I just really like Hungry Girl, lol!

1 comment: